Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
Regardless, the neighborhood gradually received its own name at that time, and the Carroll Gardens Association was formed in 1964. One result was that the decades-long control of the area by a political machine was ended. Carroll Gardens had long been considered to be part of either the larger area referred to as South Brooklyn, or the neighborhood known as Red Hook. The Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary and St. Stephen’s Church at Summit and Hicks Streets, was built c.1860 as St. Stephen’s Church; the parish’s name changed when it merged with another which lost its church in 1941 due to the building of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. This church was designed by Patrick Charles Keely in the Gothic Revival style. The congregation was founded in 1849, during the heyday of Brooklyn’s industrialization, and the church was built in 1867–84 and was designed by the firm Richard Upjohn & Son in the Victorian Gothic style.
Italian immigrants began coming to the neighborhood in the late 19th century – dock workers and workers in the Brooklyn Navy Yard– continuing through the 1950s, which led to much of the Irish population of the area leaving beginning in the 1920s. The rise of the Italian population provoked questions about the role of the Mafia in the neighborhood. One theory has it that Carroll Gardens, which lies between a territory traditionally controlled by the Gambino crime family and one controlled by the Colombo family, is considered to be neutral territory, and has been, for the most part, left alone.
Despite having an Irish surname, in recent times it has been known as an Italian American neighborhood. Carroll Gardens is a neighborhood in the northwestern portion of the New York City borough of Brooklyn. Taking up around 40 city blocks, it is bounded by Degraw and Warren Streets , Hoyt and Smith Streets , Ninth Street or the Gowanus Expressway , and Interstate 278, the Gowanus and Brooklyn–Queens Expressways . The neighborhoods that surround it are Cobble Hill to the northwest, Boerum Hill to the northeast, Gowanus to the east, Red Hook to the south and southwest, and the Columbia Street Waterfront District to the west.
Now Playing Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir – My Help Cometh From The Lord (Choral Arrangementsby Carol Cymbala) on https://t.co/BsCrfZrIPX
— centralparishradio (@centralparishr1) May 15, 2022
A Catholic mass in French is said every Sunday at the St. Agnes Church in Carroll Gardens. This initiative of the diocese of Brooklyn occurred after the neighboring Archdiocese of New York, incurred the wrath of French worshipers in Manhattan by deciding to close the French national parish of St. Vincent de Paul Church. Carroll Gardens has seen some French immigration since the late 1990s, and Bastille Day celebrations are held on July 14 of each year. International School of Brooklyn, a Nursery-8th grade independent school, offers a French and Spanish language immersion program. One of the public schools in Carroll Gardens, The Carroll School (P.S. 58), also has one of the area’s French dual-language programs, which was one of the first such French programs at a public school in the city.
We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best. Baker, Al. “A Fire Commissioner Devoted to Family and Dedicated to the Safety of His Corps”, The New York Times, December 23, 2009. “Born on Jan. 22, 1945, as the second son in an Italian-American family, he was named after the father of his mother, Madeline. The Cassanos lived in South Brooklyn, in a walk-up on First Place in Carroll Gardens.” Bus service through the neighborhood is available from the B61 on 9th Street and the B57 on Court and Smith Streets. Several 19th-century baseball fields in the community, collectively referred to as Carroll Park, were home fields for several clubs from the early days of baseball, including Excelsior of Brooklyn before they moved to their Red Hook grounds.
- The rise of the Italian population provoked questions about the role of the Mafia in the neighborhood.
- One of the public schools in Carroll Gardens, The Carroll School (P.S. 58), also has one of the area’s French dual-language programs, which was one of the first such French programs at a public school in the city.
- It became Den Norske Sjomannskirke (the Norwegian Seaman’s Church), founded by Norwegian immigrants; it was once visited by the King of Norway during an official visit to the United States.
“Eileen C. Dugan, 51, State Assemblywoman”, The New York Times, November 9, 1996. “Eileen C. Dugan, a Brooklyn Democrat who was elected to her ninth term in the New York State Assembly only on Tuesday, died yesterday at Beth Israel Medical Center. Ms. Dugan, who lived in Carroll Gardens, was 51.” The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 60.9% White, 11.9% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.5% Asian, 0% Pacific Islander, 0.4% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. The development of what is now the Carroll Gardens Historic District began in the 1870s, due in part to its proximity to Carroll Park. The district was created by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1973.