Candice Rose Rause Obituary 1989
But what happens when institutionalization is unavoidable? Care between hospitals, medical providers, nursing homes, long-term care facilities and residences will be integrated. “Care Transitions” including community resources will enable seamless care between institutions and community. Hopefully, Marilyn Tavenner, a top official at the agency, who has taken Berwick’s place will continue efforts to reform the system.
- A new model “The Care Support Model” will replace the “Medical Model.” Medicare was established in 1965 to cover acute care after a patient was sick.
- The five reasons for the “extremely high level of waste” include overtreatment, little coordination of care, fraud, a complex health care system and regulations that are pointless and archaic.
- The author, Candice Rose, is a specialist on the topic of aging and elder care.
- Medicare data should also be reviewed and analyzed to understand changing trends and effective treatments.
- The New York Times estimated that $100 Billion dollars is stolen from Medicare and Medicaid each year.
In a major policy shift the Department of Health and Human Services implemented a provision to make the Medicare claims database available to the public. The massive Medicare database is considered the mother lode of medical information for the U.S. health-care system. The computerized record itemizes medical bills for 48 million beneficiaries.
Medicare: This Business About free”
But I object to insulating beneficiaries, who are also medical consumers, to the cost of care. Medicare is being exploited on many fronts and consumers must be informed in order to make responsible choices. Defendants submitted claims to Medicare for treatments which were either not provided at all or which were medically unnecessary. Some Medicare beneficiaries received kickbacks for supplying information to providers. Investigators used data analysis techniques to uncover $295 million dollars in false billing. Hopefully, proactive preventive management will lead to fewer crises and will delay institutionalization.